JUNE 4–6, 2013, UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA
Tuesday, 4 June, Mahony & Sons Public House, 5990 University Boulevard, UBC
6.00 – 9.00 PM Meet and greet at Mahony & Sons
Wednesday, 5 June, Hillel House, 6145 Student Union Boulevard, UBC
8.30-9.30am Registration. Coffee and healthy and hearty breakfast options will be available.
9.30-10.00am Opening remarks: Katharine Patterson, conference chair.
10.00-11.00am Keynote speaker: Rebecca Nowacek, Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin Collaboration, cooperation, complication: Composing our visions of the possible
11.15-11:45 Anne Knott and Dalene Swanson Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Approaches to writing pedagogy and embodied language and learning practices at a South African comprehensive university: A critical duo-ethnography
11.45-12.45 pm Cecile Badenhorst, S. Penney, S. Pickett, J. Hesson, R. Joy, G. Young, H. McLeod, D. Vaandering, and X. Li, Memorial University, Newfoundland. Women faculty, collaboration and writing productivity
12.45-2.15 Lunch (See below for options)
2.15 – 3.15 pm Dana Landry, Shurli Makmillen, and Nadeane Trowse, Writing Centre, University of the Fraser Valley, Writing Centre collaborations: From unpredictability to improvisation
A. Graham Shaw and Nadeane Trowse, Writing Centre, University of the Fraser Valley. Collaborative feedback for revision: a “fly on the wall” process.
3.15 – 4.30 pm Speed conferencing and coffee
6.30pm – 10.00pm Conference Dinner, Dockside Restaurant & Brewing Company, 1253 Johnston Street (Granville Island)
Thursday, 6 June, Hillel House, 6145 Student Union Boulevard, UBC
8.30-9.30am Coffee, with healthy and hearty breakfast options
9.30-10.45am W. Brock MacDonald, Woodsworth College, University of Toronto. Visualizing collaboration: Metaphors, mappings, and meanings
10.45-11.45am Kathryn Grafton and Laurie McNeill, University of British Columbia. Negotiated collaboration of learning outcomes: Teaching academic writing within a multidisciplinary cohort program.
Hayat Messekher, Ecole Normale Superieure des Lettres et Sciences Humaines de Bouzareah, Algiers, Courtney McLaughlin, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, and Crystal Machado, Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Research writing for Publication: Expert and peer collaboration in writing circles
11.45-11.30am Break and coffee
11.30-12.15pm Roger Graves, University of Alberta and Heather Graves, University of Alberta. Large-scale collaboration: Centres for excellence in academic writing
12:15 – 1:45pm Lunch (see below for options)
1:45 – 2:30pm Student Roundtable: Critical Questions for Writing Centre Practice. Holly Goldsmith-Jones, Emily Carr University of Art and Design. Collaboration in shaping open and inclusive models of teaching.
Mark Cunningham, Emily Carr University of Art and Design. Learning disabilities and the Writing Centre. Lola Asayo, University of the Fraser Valley. Observations from the front line of the Writing Centre
2:30 – 3:30pm Heather Fitzgerald and Jacqueline Turner, Emily Carr University of Art and Design. “Write Club”: A collaborative creative approach to teaching academic writing
J. Barbara Rose and Dena Bain Taylor, University of Toronto. Negotiating the Ivory Tower: Voices outside the traditional academic context
4.00-5.00pm AGM and Refreshments
- The Loop Café is located in the Centre for Interactive Research on Sustainability Building, 2260 West Mall at UBC. It is a sustainable, environmentally-friendly and healthy kind of restaurant. The menu changes every other day, and relies on ingredients that are seasonally and locally available when possible (open Mon-Fri 7:30 am – 4 pm).
- The Gallery Lounge and Restaurant offers a number of different specials made fresh daily. It’s located in the Student Union Building at UBC across from Hillel House. The salads and quesadillas are excellent. They also have a bar (open Mon-Thu 9 am – 7 pm; Fri 9 am – 4 pm)
- Ike’s in the IK Barber Learning Centre, also close to Hillel House, is good for quick stop sandwich and baked items.
- The Point Grill, located at 2205 Lower Mall at UBC, has a seasonally-inspired bistro menu. Open 7:15 a.m.
- One More Sushi, located upstairs in UBC Village on Dalhousie Rd (2nd floor) 222-2155 Allison Rd, has good, fresh sushi in a very nice spot to sit and relax. (Open Mon – Sat for lunch and dinner. Licenced)
- Vera’s Burger Shack, also in the UBC Village is a Vancouver classic. Very fresh burgers and hot, crispy fries (open for lunch).
Access UBC wireless by going to wireless networks available on your laptop, click on the UBC Visitor network, accept the conditions and enter your e-mail address.