Director for the Health Sciences Writing Centre, University of Toronto, St. George Campus; closing date February 1, 2016
The Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education at the University of Toronto invites applications for a full-time, teaching stream position as Director of the Health Sciences Writing Centre. The appointment will be at the rank of Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream, and will commence July 1, 2016. We welcome applications from current Teaching-Stream faculty. For members of the University of Toronto who already hold the rank of Associate Professor, Teaching Stream, the appointment will be made at that level.
The development of critical thinking and writing skills is a key component of studies in the Health Sciences at the University of Toronto. Now in its 21st year of operation, the Health Sciences Writing Centre (HSWC) provides academic writing and language instruction in the following five domains: (i) individual (1:1) instruction for undergraduate and graduate students in the Faculties of Dentistry, Kinesiology & Physical Education, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Social Work; (ii) critical thinking and writing instruction integrated within Faculty curricula (lectures, workshops, seminars); (iii) English Language Development; (iv) online learning; and (v) collaboration with faculty/TAs on assignment design/evaluation and academic integrity issues.
The Director of the Health Sciences Writing Centre provides intellectual, pedagogical, and administrative leadership in writing instruction in and across the Health Sciences disciplinary curricula. Evidence of excellence in teaching will be demonstrated through teaching accomplishments, letters of reference, and the teaching dossier submitted as part of the application. The Director must also demonstrate a strong record of active scholarship, publications related to pedagogy or writing instruction, and creative professional activity, as well as the ability to work effectively with culturally and linguistically diverse undergraduate and graduate students.
Duties of the Director include:
- promoting student-centred teaching and learning styles
- leading a team of writing instructors embedded in each of the five Faculties
- collaborating with disciplinary course instructors and deliver lectures on academic forms of writing; may also teach non-credit courses
- providing administrative leadership for the HSWC
- consulting with disciplinary course instructors on issues related to assignment design and evaluation, as well as issues of academic integrity
- contributing to curriculum development of undergraduate and graduate programs
- performing important service activities such as membership on tenure and promotion committees, and membership on KPE Faculty Council and professoriate
- engaging in collaborative leadership within the vibrant and intellectually engaged community of writing centres at the University of Toronto.
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. All qualified candidates are invited to apply by clicking on the link below. Applications should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and teaching dossier (including a statement of teaching philosophy). If you have questions about this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All application materials should be submitted online. Please combine attachments into one or two files in PDF/MS Word format. Submission guidelines can be found at: http://uoft.me/how-to-apply. Applicants should also ask three referees to send letters directly to the department via e-mail to email@example.com by the closing date, February 1, 2016.